How to make a capsule with your child that tells a story of 2023
Creating a time capsule with your child can be a fun and engaging activity that helps them understand and appreciate the current year.
It’s important to teach children the importance of memories at a young age. By doing this, you teach them that the moments in life are greater than the objects we have. When you create a time capsule, you are preserving a specific time in life. And it gives children something to look forward to as they get older.
Photo credit: Lit and Tech
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make a time capsule that tells a story of 2023:
- Container: Choose a sturdy container that can protect the contents over time. Consider using a waterproof and airtight container, such as a plastic storage bin, metal canister, or even a decorated shoebox.
- Decorations: Let your child express their creativity by decorating the outside of the container. They can paint, draw, or glue pictures and objects that represent 2023 for them.
Items to Include:
Gather items that reflect the events, trends, and pop culture of 2023. This could include:
- Photographs: Take pictures of your child’s life in 2023, including family moments, special occasions, and everyday activities.
- Toys or trinkets: Include toys or objects representing your child’s interests and hobbies in 2023.
- Drawings or artwork: Let your child create their drawings or artwork that capture their experiences and feelings in 2023
- Certificates/ribbons from sports game.
- Popular music or movies: Did your child have a favourite song or movie from 2023? You could include a poster or printed-out lyrics.
- List of favourites – write a list of all your favourite things, you can include everything from your favourite food to your favourite music and your favourite item of clothing.
- Handprints made with fingerpaint
- Future job aspirations – do you remember wanting to be an astronaut when you were older, only to change your mind 3 months later and decide you wanted to be a ballet dancer instead? Getting your family to write down what they want to be when they’re older is guaranteed to bring smiles to faces when your time capsule is opened.
- Family Questionnaire – this is a great way to get the whole family involved in the time capsule. You can decide together, ‘Who’s the funniest?’ or ‘Who likes being outside more?’ and see what’s changed when you open the capsule up again
- Personal notes: Write a letter to your future selves, reflecting on your child’s life, milestones, and the overall atmosphere of 2023.
Creating the Time Capsule:
- Involve your child: Encourage your child to participate in the process of selecting and placing items into the capsule. Discuss the significance of each item and how it represents 2023 for them.
- Organise and label: Arrange the items neatly inside the capsule and consider labelling each item or grouping them by category. This will make it easier to identify and understand the contents when the capsule is opened in the future.
- Seal and Store: Securely seal the capsule to protect its contents. Choose a storage location that is safe and dry, such as a closet.
Unveiling the Time Capsule:
- Set a Date: Decide on a date in the future when you and your child will open the time capsule together. This could be a significant milestone, such as their graduation or a family reunion.
- Anticipation and Excitement: Build up the anticipation by discussing the time capsule with your child regularly. Encourage them to think about how much they will have grown and changed by the time they open it.
- Unveiling Together: On the designated date, gather the family and make a special event out of opening the time capsule. Take turns reminiscing about the items and sharing memories from 2023.
Creating a time capsule with your child can be a treasured keepsake that captures the essence of 2023 and provides a valuable learning experience for your child. It’s a fun and meaningful activity that strengthens your bond and creates lasting memories.
Wishing you Happy Holidays from House on the Hill, and here’s to a joyful New Year!